Monday, August 17, 2009

Square Foot 2009 - Fiery Flamenco


Fiery Flamenco 12" x 12" Acrylic on canvas

One of my entries for this year's Square Foot art show at the AWOL Gallery downtown. It's currently hanging in the smaller main AWOL location for this month. I decided to try out an experimental style for this show. This piece was in part a way of drawing inspiration from my Spanish roots. I've also always been fascinated by the beautiful strength and grace of great flamenco choreography and was awestruck by an amazing performance by a flamenco dancer who was part of the Riverdance troupe that performed here in Toronto recently. I've always felt that the flamenco demonstrates the most intoxicating combination of feminine beauty, strength and grace of all the cultural dances I've seen so far. Unlike the paso doble, the woman can take centre stage solo and dance without relying on a strong partner. Like fire she lights up the stage, beautiful, graceful, independent, strong and unstoppable.

2 comments: